What is the Green Team?
The Green Team is a teen employment and leadership program. Green Team Members get paid to work on a team, grow food for our community, work for environmental justice, and learn how to be leaders in their community. The Green Team helps work towards Groundwork Somerville’s mission of a cleaner, greener, healthier, and more equitable city.
What do we do?
This summer, the Green Team will focus on:
- Urban Agriculture: Learn to grow food at our urban farm and school gardens. We will be planting, weeding, harvesting, selling produce and more.
- Environmental Justice: Help restore, maintain, and design green spaces like the Mystic River waterfront so that all community members can access outdoor recreation.
- Civic Engagement: Practice public speaking, facilitation, and leadership skills. Host community events, support food access initiatives, and learn about advocating for racial, economic, and other forms of social justice.
- Biking: Learn how to safely ride a bike and travel around Somerville by bike with the Green Team. Be ready to get dirty, sweaty, and in shape!
How much does it pay?
Green Team members work approximately 20-22 hours per week at $15 per hour.
When is it?
- The Green Team works for six weeks in the summer.
- We work every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- We also have required orientation sessions in June.
- All Green Team members are expected to attend work every day during the six week summer. Let us know if you have any commitments during this time.
- Green Team members are also required to work 2-3 farmers market shifts over the course of the summer on Friday afternoon or Saturday.
Where do we meet?
- We meet every morning at South Street Farm, 138 South Street, Somerville. South Street Farm is on the Somerville/Cambridge line between Union Square and Inman Square.
- We will travel by walking or bike to other work sites in Somerville and the surrounding cities, including school gardens, parks, and the Groundwork Somerville office in Union Square.
What else do I need to know?
In order to be on the Green Team, you must be:
- At least 14 years old by July 7, 2021 and not older than 18
- Able and willing to do farm work which includes standing, bending, using tools, lifting up to 10 pounds, being outside in all (safe) weather conditions for extended periods of time, and getting dirty
- Able and willing to work and communicate with team members and leaders
- Able and willing to walk (or transport self) up to a mile at a time
- Willing to ride a bike and wear a helmet, if physically able (we provide bikes and teach you if you don’t know how!)
- Able to attend work every day and have no conflicting commitments
- Able to provide verification that you are authorized to work in the U.S. (reach out with questions)
- Able to take and pass a drug test
- (If you have questions about physical ability and the Green Team requirements please reach out.)
What if I have questions?
Contact Stephanie Cordova, Youth Employment Program Manager, with any questions! Email her at email@example.com, text 857-333-3535, or call our office at 617-628-9988. You can also stop in at 337 Somerville Ave #2B in Union Square!
Contact Stephanie Cordova, Youth Employment Program Manager, for more information or with any questions: