Garden Youth Crew
Garden Youth Crew applications are now open!
Groundwork Somerville is offering an exciting opportunity for students entering grades 7 through 9 in 2014. This summer there are up to 10 spaces available for students to be part of a youth crew with Groundwork Somerville helping to maintain the Somerville School Gardens. Crew members will work 4-6 hours a week for 5 weeks from July 9th through August 9th. Upon completion of the program, each member with a full record of participation will receive a $50 stipend at the end of the summer. Youth will join a team that is dedicated to:
- Learning how to grow and harvest your own fresh vegetables and herbs
- Working together as a team and getting to know each other
- Giving back to the community
- Creating value-added garden products to sell at local farmers markets
- Going on fun, educational field trips in Somerville & beyond
- Cooking and tasting fresh veggies grown in your own school gardens
The Garden Youth Crew will meet at their site for 2-3 hours twice a week from July 9th through August 9th, 2014. The crew of students will work together each week to maintain and improve their school garden site. We plan to take several trips throughout the Greater Boston area as well. Participants will attend and sell at the Somerville Mobile Market either one Thursday or Saturday afternoon. Field trips are fun but not required, will be longer than 2 hours, and will include all GYC members.
This is a great program for anyone who enjoys working outdoors and craves greater responsibility!
Click on the following the links to read blog posts from the past Garden Youth Crew seasons: MEM Tea field trip, Gaining Ground farm trip, Union Sq. Farmer’s Market selling tea, and Last Day Festivities.