Maple Syrup Project
You can be part of our 16th annual Maple Syrup Project!
See below for upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, project history, sponsors, and more.
⋅ Maple Brunch Fundraiser: Monday, February 18th | 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM | The Independent
⋅ Maple Syrup Boil Down: Saturday, March 16th | 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM | South Street Farm
⋅ Sap on Tap Fundraiser: | April 14th | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM | Aeronaut Brewery
♦ ♦ ♦
History of the Somerville Maple Syrup Project: What began 16 years ago as the small-scale tapping of a few trees on Tufts campus has now grown into a fully-fledged educational project that involves organizations and individuals throughout the Somerville community. Each winter, with our partners at the Somerville Public Schools, Tufts University, and volunteers from the community, Groundwork Somerville taps local sugar maple trees and collects the sap. Simultaneously, Groundwork staff and trained community volunteers teach four-week art and science curriculum to second graders at public schools across the city. The season culminates in a spectacular community boil down event held at South Street Farm, which is free and open to the public. Metal shop students from Somerville High made and maintain the evaporator pan where we boil the sap into syrup. The syrup is given as thank-you gifts to community partners.
♦ ♦ ♦
Thank you to donors, volunteers, and sponsors for your support. We couldn’t do it without you!
Special thanks to the 2019 Maple Syrup Project Supporters: Cuisine en Locale, The Independent Restaurant, Aeronaut Brewery Co., Whole Foods, Tufts University, Somerville Community Growing Center, and Somerville Homeless Coalition.
Contact us to sponsor the Maple Syrup Project!
♦ ♦ ♦
Help us make the Maple Syrup Project even better!
$12 funds one student’s experience in the Maple Syrup Project
$25 buys a new sap collection bucket
$60 funds a session of the maple education series for a classroom
$250 funds the 4-session maple education series in one classroom
$500 makes you an event sponsor of the Maple Syrup Boil Down Festival
♦ ♦ ♦
Read about the Maple Syrup Project in the press!
- See the Boston Herald‘s photos from our 2019 Tapping of the Trees event
- Check out Scout Somerville‘s coverage of the 2018 Maple Syrup Education Project lessons
- The Maple Syrup Boil Down was featured as one of seven best 2016 maple sugaring outings by WBUR
- See what Tufts Daily wrote about the 2015 Maple Syrup Project
- The Somerville News featured our 2013 syrup season and events, as did the Somerville Beat
- View 2013 Boil Down festival photos taken by Boston Globe correspondent Samantha Laine
- Listen to a 2012 Radio Boston “Farm to Fork” segment using maple syrup in an amazing recipe
- See photos and read about our 2012 Tree Tapping Day in the Somerville News
- Check out this preview of the 2011 Maple Syrup season in the Somerville News
- See the coverage of the 2010 Maple Syrup Project on WBUR Radio