Groundwork Somerville seeks a dynamic, passionate, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven leader to bring GWS into its third decade. While the Executive Director will play a key external role of promoting the organization’s work and cultivating relationships, they are primarily responsible for the administrative duties of the organization including finances (budgeting, contracts, accounting), personnel management, fundraising, and organizational development.
The Executive Director requires a variety of skills and a passion for approaching environmental challenges through a community-driven lens. GWS believes in the power of collaboration, and achieves results by building partnerships. This new staff person benefits from the strength of our history, a motivated team, and innovative programming. They also find ample opportunities to develop creative solutions to the community’s needs.
What You Bring
- Strategic and visionary nonprofit leader with at least 8 years experience in leadership roles, with success in managing programs, teams, budget development, and contract management
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing fundraising strategies, with particular strength in grant writing and raising funds from corporate and individual donors
- 5-8 years experience supervising a diverse staff with a strong, successful track record
- Commitment to Groundwork Somerville’s mission, youth empowerment, and addressing the impact of racism and other oppressions on health equity and local food, environmental, and social issues
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Connection to and knowledge of the Somerville community, or a desire to build these connections
- Demonstration of excellence in fast-paced environments; ability to innovate and lead efforts within a mission-driven organization
- Skilled relationship-builder and spokesperson, able to engage a diverse range of partners and donors as well as community members and program participants, with a passion for building community
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Proficiency (verbal and written) in another, non-English language preferred (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole)
If you are an experienced manager interested in working with an amazing group of staff and board, GWS might be the place for you! This is a 25-hour a week position for 2021, with the intention of moving to full time in 2022. The following lay out the responsibilities we foresee this position undertaking in 2021:
- Oversee all budgeting efforts, including financial management and reporting, budget preparation, and contract negotiation, in collaboration with the Board Finance Committee
- Manage all legal, fiscal, and administrative processes, including billing & contracts, HR compliance & payroll, financial management, annual review, funder reports, and compliance with state and federal laws
- Uphold the values and culture of the organization by fostering a positive, team-oriented, environment, while putting a premium on racial and social justice, both internally and externally
- Work closely with the Board Executive Committee to recruit and train board, and host monthly meetings
- Manage and develop staff, including hiring, delegation of responsibility, team building and evaluation, and building organizational diversity on staff, intern program, and volunteer base
- Support staff and volunteers to organize and implement projects in Somerville and the Mystic River region
- Hold monthly staff meetings to ensure quality project management
- Hold annual reviews for each staff member, with the Board Programs Committee
Fundraising, Communication, and Collaboration
- Develop and implement strategies to build and invigorate an active base of volunteers and donors
- Identify, pursue and secure funding, including grants, gifts, fee-for-service, in-kind donations, non-traditional funding, online marketing, and business sponsorship, in partnership with staff and the Board Development Committee, with a focus on building a robust unrestricted major gifts program
- Work to improve awareness of Groundwork and our efforts among Somerville residents and region-wide through increased communications, partnerships, and marketing
- Cultivate and manage relationships with community members, organizations, city agencies, elected officials, charitable foundations, and other funders
- Utilize the Groundwork USA network via active participation in the Executive Director monthly meetings, annual Assembly, and annual report, among other opportunities
- Serve as a spokesperson and representative of Groundwork Somerville
Salary and Benefits
Groundwork Somerville offers a competitive salary and benefits package, with a pay range between $45K-$52K (for 25 hours/week; commensurate with experience), 50% coverage of health insurance, paid holidays, vacation, sick, and personal time, and more. GWS is operating remotely for office tasks, requires regular site visits to our programs, and often works nights and weekends.
How to Apply
This position is closed.
Somerville residents strongly encouraged to apply. GWS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity. GWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. People of Color and those with other marginalized identities are strongly encouraged to apply.