Groundwork Somerville seeks a passionate individual who is excited to build dynamic relationships between people, urban farms and school gardens, and fresh food! The Assistant Grower will join a team dedicated to working for food, environmental, and health justice in the Somerville community. They will serve an integral part of growing affordable, culturally-relevant food, and connecting our community to the land we live on. Groundwork Somerville is a small, collaborative team of dedicated individuals, who care deeply about the mission of our organization.
The Assistant Grower will collaborate on all farm and school garden operations. They will primarily work at our urban farm sites: South St. Farm (138 South St., Somerville) and Artfarm (10 Poplar St., Somerville). In addition, they will support with the garden maintenance at nine school garden sites in Somerville. The Assistant Grower will work closely with the Food and Farms Manager, TerraCorps Member, High School Youth Green Team members, and volunteers to complete a wide variety of tasks.
- Field preparation and fertility management, planting, weeding, pest control/monitoring, harvesting, washing and packing, irrigation, cultivating, record-keeping, and farm maintenance tasks • Coordinate and communicate with volunteers and community members
- Train and lead Green Team members (high school youth) in farm tasks and workdays • Organize and manage farm infrastructure and materials including the greenhouse, shed areas, compost bins, tools, etc.
- Develop and maintain the pollinator garden area by planting wildflowers, weeding, watering, etc. • Create content for Groundwork Somerville’s social media focused on food & farms • Carry out school garden maintenance as needed
- Assist with planning and leading community-engagement outreach efforts including Cleaning & Greening events, Apple Cider Day, etc.
- Seasonal position, May – October
- 30 hours/week, Monday – Friday (some nights and weekends will be required)
- Hours vary throughout the season but are generally 8:00am-2:00pm with a paid thirty minute lunch • Assistant Grower will report directly to the Food and Farms Manager
Requirements & Qualifications:
- A minimum of one season’s farm experience, plus two year’s work experience in any field (part time/seasonally while in school is fine)
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and work independently or as part of a crew • Experience training and managing others effectively
- Excellent people and communication skills – able to talk about the farm with people in the community passing by – and engage our community
- Passionate about food and environmental justice
- Be in good physical condition and able to lift and carry 35 pounds repeatedly and safely • Willingness to work in all kinds of weather
- Easy to laugh, friendly and encouraging, and can roll with the ever changing season • Punctuality. All staff are expected to be ready to start work when the work day begins. • Comfortable working with basic Excel spreadsheets
- Able to work nights and weekends as needed for events
The right candidate will be self-motivated, responsible, attentive to detail, curious, flexible, comfortable communicating with a wide variety of people and able to keep up a quick work pace. This position involves working both independently and with a group. Preference will be given to applicants that are interested in staying on for a second season.
Benefits include: $17.50/hour, 3 days paid vacation to accumulate with hours worked, and paid holidays
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 8th.
Hiring policy: Groundwork Somerville is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity. Groundwork Somerville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and those with other marginalized identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Groundwork Somerville: Established in 2000, Groundwork Somerville is a community-based, action oriented non-profit. Our primary focus areas are youth development, food and farms, building a sustainable environment, and working for racial justice and health equity. For more information, please visit www.groundworksomerville.org. Groundwork Somerville is part of the Groundwork USA network, a network of local organizations devoted to transforming the natural and built environment of low-income communities. Working at the intersection of environment, equity and civic engagement, Groundwork “Trusts” across the nation develop community partnerships which empower people, businesses, and organizations to promote environmental, economic, and social well-being.