Groundwork Somerville runs the majority of its programming with volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
If you are interested in volunteering or interning with us for a program or event please fill out a volunteer form here: Volunteer Form
Are you looking to recruit volunteers for your event? To access Groundwork Somerville’s volunteer network you can fill out a request for here: Volunteer Event Form
If you feel you have a talent to offer that is not reflected below, please let us know that too!
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Somerville Spring Clean Up (April 21st)
- School Gardens
- South Street Farm
- Monthly “Cleaning and Greening” events
- Skill based volunteer opportunities
** See below for descriptions of each of these volunteer opportunities. For more information or to express interest in one of these opportunities, please email email@example.com, with “Volunteer: School Gardens (or whichever volunteer area you are interested in)” in the subject line.
APRIL 21st, 10-12pm: Somerville Mayor’s Spring Clean Up & Comcast Cares Day 2018
Every year, we gather together to celebrate spring and get together with neighbors to take care of our community spaces. Our annual Mayor’s Spring Clean Up/Comcast Cares Day is a city-wide cleanup and gardening day from 10 am to 12 pm at 12 different sites across Somerville. Comcast generously provides sponsorship for this day. We are looking for as many volunteers and groups as possible to get out, get dirty, and clean up our parks, streets and gardens!
Facebook event here.
Sign up to let us know your coming here (not required, but appreciated!).
School Garden Support (requires CORI background check)
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
- School Garden Maintenance Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from April – June. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided. Opportunities to continue into summer season available!
- School Garden Assistant Teachers commit to supporting school garden educational programming at one school. Stewards must have at least some availability during the school day (8:30-2:30 M-F).
- School Garden After School Assistant Teachers commit to supporting after school educational experiences in our school gardens 1-2 days / week. Must have availability in one of following time slots:
- Monday 3:15-5:15pm, Tuesday 2:30-4pm, 3:30-5pm, Wednesday 2:30-3pm, 3-4pm
- SUMMER (mid-June-August) :
- School Garden Summer Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from mid- June- August. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided.
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
South Street Farm, volunteer opportunities (Weekly)
- South Street Farm Volunteer- 1-2 hours / week, mid-April – end of June
- Availability on one of the following days:
- Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Summer farm volunteer opportunities are still being finalized. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest, and receive more information.
Cleaning and Greening (Urban Agriculture and Green Spaces)
Groundwork Somerville host monthly open volunteer days at our urban agriculture sites, as well as local parks and green spaces. No pre-registration is necessary. Events are drop in, and open to all.
Current list of upcoming Cleaning and Greening opportunities are listed below:
- April 21st: 10-12pm, various locations around Somerville; see more information here: Somerville Spring Clean Up
- May, DATE TBD, 5 – 6pm : South Street Farm, hosted by the Green Team
- June: The Somerville Community Growing Center
- July: Mystic River Watershed Parks
- August: South Street Farm
- September: Bike to the Sea bike trail
- October: South Street Farm
- November: Somerville Community Path, Bulb Blitz!
To join mailing list to find out information about these opportunities as dates and times are finalized, please sign up at our volunteer list online.
Mobile Farmers Market (check back for 2018 season)
Volunteers help staff the weekly Mobile Farmers Market, selling produce, interacting with customers, posting flyers, knocking on doors to bring more people out to the market. The Mobile Farmers Market offers the most affordable fresh produce in the state, targeting public and senior housing in Somerville.
We are currently seeking volunteers to support a few projects requiring specific skills and expertise. If you have these skills and are interested in applying them to one of our projects, please be in touch with Jess (email@example.com) for more information.
- Web design
- Grant Writing
- Engineering and Carpentry for small scale urban farm projects
- Mural creation and other artists
- Farm / Garden management (*note, we are specifically seeking individuals with enough farm / garden experience to oversee garden spaces without significant support)