* DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19 WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER VOLUNTEERING HOURS AT THIS TIME (4/23/2020)*
Groundwork Somerville runs the majority of its programming with volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
If you are interested in volunteering or interning with us for a program or event please fill out a volunteer form here: Volunteer Form
Are you looking to recruit volunteers for your event? To access Groundwork Somerville’s volunteer network you can fill out a request for here: Volunteer Event Form
If you feel you have a talent to offer that is not reflected below, please let us know that too!
Find out how to use volunteer credits to qualify for one month of free curbside compost service by Garbage to Garden here.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Somerville Spring Clean Up and Comcast Cares Day 2019
- School Gardens
- South Street Farm
- Groundwork Somerville Ambassador
- Monthly “Cleaning and Greening” events
- Skill based volunteer opportunities
** See below for descriptions of each of these volunteer opportunities. For more information or to express interest in one of these opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Volunteer: School Gardens (or whichever volunteer area you are interested in)” in the subject line.
Somerville Mayor’s Spring Clean Up & Comcast Cares Day 2020 (currently suspended due to COVID-19)
Every year, we gather together to celebrate spring and get together with neighbors to take care of our community spaces. Our annual Mayor’s Spring Clean Up/Comcast Cares Day is a city-wide cleanup and gardening day from different sites across Somerville. Comcast generously provides sponsorship for this day. We are looking for as many volunteers and groups as possible to get out, get dirty, and clean up our parks, streets and gardens!
Facebook event here.
Sign up to let us know your coming here (not required, but appreciated!).
School Garden Support (requires CORI background check)
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
- School Garden Maintenance Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from April – June. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided. Opportunities to continue into summer season available!
- School Garden Assistant Teachers commit to supporting school garden educational programming at one school. Stewards must have at least some availability during the school day (8:30-2:30 M-F).
- School Garden After School Assistant Teachers commit to supporting after school educational experiences in our school gardens 1-2 days / week. Must have availability in one of following time slots:
- Monday 3:15-5:15pm, Tuesday 2:30-4pm, 3:30-5pm, Wednesday 2:30-3pm, 3-4pm
- SUMMER (mid-June-August) :
- School Garden Summer Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from mid- June- August. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided.
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
South Street Farm, volunteer opportunities (Weekly)
- South Street Farm Volunteer- 1-2 hours / week, mid-April – end of June
- Availability on one of the following days:
- Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Summer farm volunteer opportunities are still being finalized. Please contact email@example.com to express interest, and receive more information.
Groundwork Somerville Ambassador (currently suspended until further notice)
Groundwork Somerville is seeking to fill the volunteer position of Groundwork Somerville Ambassador. Main responsibilities include:
- Supporting Groundwork Somerville through information sharing at our tabling and outreach events.
- Sharing information to the community about Groundwork Somerville and the importance of youth development, food and farms, building a sustainable environment, and working for racial justice and health equity.
- Connecting Groundwork Somerville’s mission with the ongoing work we do through our programs.
- Arranging and facilitating outreach events approved by Groundwork Somerville.
- Representing Groundwork Somerville in a professional manner as facilitators, navigators and reporters, providing support in both strategic planning and project/program execution.
- Reporting to the Groundwork Somerville coordinator.
Click here to learn more and apply.
Cleaning and Greening (Urban Agriculture and Green Spaces)
Groundwork Somerville host monthly open volunteer days (April through November) at our urban agriculture sites, as well as local parks and green spaces. No pre-registration is necessary. Events are drop in, and open to all.
Check back on our page soon for 2019 volunteer dates!
To join mailing list to find out information about these opportunities as dates and times are finalized, please sign up at our volunteer list online.
Mobile Farmers Market (check back for 2020 season)
Volunteers help staff the weekly Mobile Farmers Market, selling produce, interacting with customers, posting flyers, knocking on doors to bring more people out to the market. The Mobile Farmers Market offers the most affordable fresh produce in the state, targeting public and senior housing in Somerville.
Maple Syrup Project
Maple educators and maple volunteers help run our winter program, the Maple Syrup Project. The Maple Syrup Project is a four-week second-grade maple sugaring themed curriculum taught to participating Somerville Public Schools. The program culminates in a community event called the Boil Down, where we boil the sap collected from trees on Tufts Campus and sell pancakes with maple syrup. This year our annual Maple Syrup Boil Down was hosted by our good friends over at the Community Growing Center!
We are currently seeking volunteers to support a few projects requiring specific skills and expertise. If you have these skills and are interested in applying them to one of our projects, please be reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Web design
- Grant Writing
- Engineering and Carpentry for small scale urban farm projects
- Mural creation and other artists
- Farm / Garden management (*note, we are specifically seeking individuals with enough farm / garden experience to oversee garden spaces without significant support)