* Due to COVID-19 we are not offering as many volunteer opportunities in 2021 as usual*
Volunteer with Groundwork Somerville this season!
Sign up for our mailing list!
Groundwork Somerville runs a lot of its programming with volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
Learn more about volunteer projects on our volunteer email list here.
Regular Volunteer Opportunities – 2021
School Garden Support
- School Garden Maintenance Volunteers are paired with one (or more if desired) of our 9 school garden sites and sign up to help weed, water, and care for the garden regularly between May – September. We require a minimum of 1 day per week, 1hr/day commitment, with flexible timing during the day and ability to take on as many additional hours as you want.
- School Garden Assistant Teachers commit to supporting school garden educational programming at one school. Stewards must have at least some availability during the school day (8:30-2:30 M-F). This year, our programming is virtual. If you have skills in producing videos, we’d love to work with you!
South Street Farm
- South Street Farm Weeding Wednesdays will be offered weekly on Wednesdays between June – September from 8am-10am. This will involve help with weeding the farm and/or support other miscellaneous tasks.
- South St. Farm Volunteer Leaders will go through a 30 min-hour long orientation. They will commit to helping on the farm 2hr/week from May – Sept. and will assist with a range of farm tasks. They will be given more leadership roles and opportunities to help guide other volunteers. They will also be given the privilege of opening the farm to the public and “hosting” the space when they want. This could be for the purpose of eating lunch, reading a book, enjoying a walk around the farm, or helping with ongoing farm tasks.
- Please sign up through this form, or contact email@example.com to learn more
Cleaning and Greening
Groundwork Somerville host monthly open volunteer days (April through October) at our urban agriculture sites, as well as local parks and green spaces. Help make our community sparkle by picking up trash, planting bulbs, raking leaves, and assisting with other misc. farm and/or garden tasks!
To join mailing list to find out information about these opportunities as dates and times are finalized, please sign up for our volunteer email list here.