Groundwork Somerville runs the majority of its programming with lots of volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! First, THANK YOU. Second, please email or call if you are interested in volunteering for our organization. We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
School Garden Liaisons
We are looking for parents and community members to serve as School Garden Liaisons for the upcoming 2013-2014 school year. This volunteer position involves some or all of the following:
- Outreach to recruit volunteers for specific events or roles, such as garden renovations
- Work with Groundwork Somerville, teachers, principals, school staff, city departments, after-school programs, and Somerville Urban Agriculture Ambassadors to coordinate and expand gardens management, planning, maintenance, and gardens-based activities
- Aid in purchasing/replacing equipment, supplies, plants, soil, mulch, etc.
- Aid in grants research and writing to sustain gardens & fund renovations or programming
- Reach out to families and neighbors, particularly new Healey families and community;
- Work with teachers and staff to incorporate garden beds into curricula as an outdoor classroom, site of community service learning projects, and nature lab
- Organize community service days with Groundwork Somerville and with other community partners, such as Tufts, Boston Volunteers, local businesses, etc.
- Coordinate seasonal garden events as desired
- Develop partnerships with food services staff to incorporate gardens into nutrition education and potentially utilize garden produce in school cafeteria or at special events
- (Healey only) Help make garden accessible to students, staff, and community during and after school and during lunchtime recess
Fall Garden Gurus
Do you have a green thumb but no growing space? Want to put your gardening expertise to good use? Help us keep our gardens thriving by signing up to be a Garden Guru! Flexible schedules are welcome, we have multiple locations across Somerville, and you only need to volunteer 1-3 hours per week (though you can definitely sign up for more) from mid-August until November.
Garden Gurus weed gardens, fertilize soil, thin and trim seedlings, and plant in our school gardens and at the South Street Farm; you’ll be provided with all necessary tools and supplies, as well as an on-site orientation.
Interested? Email Kristin, Green Team Coordinator, at Kristin@groundworksomerville.org or call 617-628-9988 with your availability, contact information, and which part of Somerville you live/work in!
Quotes from former volunteers:
“It’s been a really great experience volunteering with Groundwork Somerville and at the Brown School. Thanks for organizing such great activities for the kids!” –Nick, former after-school club leader
“ I was happy to volunteer. I had a great time in Mrs. Taylor’s class. Hope to be able to do it again next year.” –Maureen, Maple Syrup Project volunteer