Groundwork Somerville runs the majority of its programming with lots of volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! First, THANK YOU. Second, please email or call if you are interested in volunteering for our organization. We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Comcast Cares Day/Somerville Spring Cleanup
We are looking for 24 “Team Leaders” to volunteer for our Earth Day Cleanup at one of 12 sites throughout Somerville. The sites are:
WARD 1: Cross Street Senior Center
Zero New Washington Street (OLRA)
WARD 2: Union Square Parking Lot @ SCAT Building
Albert F. Argenziano School @ Lincoln Park
The South Street Farm
WARD 3: Somerville High School Concourse
Nunziato Field, Vinal Avenue (OLRA)
WARD 4: Blessing of the Bay Boat House, Shore Drive
WARD 5: Community Path @ Cedar St
Albion Street Park
WARD 6: Davis Square, Statue Park
WARD 7: Dilboy Field, pool parking lot
Team leaders will help coordinate the site activities, give out t-shirts, breakfast and volunteer signup waivers and are a key to the success of the day, which runs from 8-12pm and is followed by a BBQ lunch at the Boathouse. Team leaders will be offered a training by Groundwork prior to the event. Email kalimah@groundworksomerville.
Maple Syrup Volunteers
We are looking for volunteers on March 8th for the Groundwork Somerville Maple Syrup Boil Down Festival. There are 3 shifts:
- 8-10am (this would be setting up at the Growing Center, so we would be putting up tables, staking, starting the stove, etc).
- 10-1pm (people on this shift would be working the actual event, so some would be welcoming guests, leading kinds games, selling t-shirts, etc.)
- 1-4pm (people on this shift would also be working the event, so some would be handling the pancakes, clean up, boiling, selling t-shirts, etc.)
To sign up for a shift, email firstname.lastname@example.org!
After School Garden Educator
Spring is just around the corner and we are ready to get our hands into the soil and create some nature-inspired art with the next generation of environmental stewards! We are currently seeking reliable, energetic after-school educators for our spring “Eco Arts” club which meets weekly at several elementary schools in Somerville. Join us to help these school gardens and our city’s children grow up healthy. “Eco Arts” begins the first week of April and runs though June.
Dates: March 31st – June 13
Hours: Once a week, 3-4pm OR 4-5pm
Contact email@example.com to get involved!
School Garden Steward
Are you a gardener? Are you looking for growing space? Do you like kids?
We are looking for groups and individuals to apply for the position of School Garden Steward at one of eight public school gardens currently maintained by Groundwork Somerville and the school community. Stewards will be given access and stewardship over a schoolyard garden and granted a portion of that space as their own growing area. Steward’s responsibilities will include:
- helping to maintain the entire garden in both aesthetic and utilitarian respects
- weeding, watering, and otherwise caring for the garden areas
- holding open “garden hours” at set times during the week for students and teachers to use and learn from the space in formal or informal ways (times TBD by Steward in collaboration with Groundwork Somerville and school community reps)
- interacting with students and teachers during open hours and facilitate informal learning experiences
- if able, helping raise awareness and support for sustaining school gardens through activities such as:
–sharing your experiences with school community through photos, blog, newsletter postings, etc.
–engaging colleagues using networks or other to build more support
–help with a school garden community event
Quotes from former volunteers:
“It’s been a really great experience volunteering with Groundwork Somerville and at the Brown School. Thanks for organizing such great activities for the kids!” –Nick, former after-school club leader
“ I was happy to volunteer. I had a great time in Mrs. Taylor’s class. Hope to be able to do it again next year.” –Maureen, Maple Syrup Project volunteer