* DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19 WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEERING HOURS AT THIS TIME (6/24/2020)*
Groundwork Somerville runs the majority of its programming with volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
If you are interested in volunteering or interning with us for a program or event please fill out a volunteer form here: Volunteer Form
Are you looking to recruit volunteers for your event? To access Groundwork Somerville’s volunteer network you can fill out a request for here: Volunteer Event Form
If you feel you have a talent to offer that is not reflected below, please let us know that too!
Find out how to use volunteer credits to qualify for one month of free curbside compost service by Garbage to Garden here.
Regular Volunteer Opportunities:
- School Gardens
- South Street Farm
- Groundwork Somerville Ambassador
- Monthly “Cleaning and Greening” events
- Skill based volunteer opportunities
** See below for descriptions of each of these volunteer opportunities. For more information or to express interest in one of these opportunities, please email email@example.com, with “Volunteer: School Gardens (or whichever volunteer area you are interested in)” in the subject line.
School Garden Support (requires CORI background check)
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
- School Garden Maintenance Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from April – June. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided. Opportunities to continue into summer season available!
- School Garden Assistant Teachers commit to supporting school garden educational programming at one school. Stewards must have at least some availability during the school day (8:30-2:30 M-F).
- School Garden After School Assistant Teachers commit to supporting after school educational experiences in our school gardens 1-2 days / week. Must have availability in one of following time slots:
- Monday 3:15-5:15pm, Tuesday 2:30-4pm, 3:30-5pm, Wednesday 2:30-3pm, 3-4pm
- SUMMER (mid-June-August) :
- School Garden Summer Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from mid- June- August. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided.
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
South Street Farm, volunteer opportunities (Weekly)
- South Street Farm Volunteer- 1-2 hours / week, mid-April – end of June
- Availability on one of the following days:
- Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Summer farm volunteer opportunities are still being finalized. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest, and receive more information.
Groundwork Somerville Ambassador (currently suspended until further notice)
Groundwork Somerville seeks to fill the volunteer position of Groundwork Somerville Ambassador. Main responsibilities include:
- Supporting Groundwork Somerville through information sharing at our tabling and outreach events.
- Sharing information to the community about Groundwork Somerville and the importance of youth development, food and farms, building a sustainable environment, and working for racial justice and health equity.
- Connecting Groundwork Somerville’s mission with the ongoing work we do through our programs.
- Arranging and facilitating outreach events approved by Groundwork Somerville.
- Representing Groundwork Somerville in a professional manner as facilitators, navigators and reporters, providing support in both strategic planning and project/program execution.
- Reporting to the Groundwork Somerville coordinator.
Click here to learn more and apply.
Cleaning and Greening (Urban Agriculture and Green Spaces)
Groundwork Somerville host monthly open volunteer days (April through November) at our urban agriculture sites, as well as local parks and green spaces. No pre-registration is necessary. Events are drop in, and open to all.
To join mailing list to find out information about these opportunities as dates and times are finalized, please sign up at our volunteer list online.