* DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19 WE ARE NOT OFFERING AS MANY VOLUNTEERING HOURS THIS YEAR (9/27/20)*
Groundwork Somerville runs a lot of its programming with volunteer support! From internships to community service requirements, to parents involved in our youth programming, we would not be able to do the work that we do without your help! We are glad to work with high school students, college students, parents, residents, retired folks, and anyone else who’s passionate about education and gardening.
If you are interested in volunteering or interning with us, please sign up for our volunteer email list here.
Regular Volunteer Opportunities:
- School Gardens
- South Street Farm
- Groundwork Somerville Ambassador
- Regular “Cleaning and Greening” events
** See below for descriptions of each of these volunteer opportunities.
School Garden Support (requires CORI background check)
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
- School Garden Maintenance Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from April – June. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided. Opportunities to continue into summer season available!
- School Garden Assistant Teachers commit to supporting school garden educational programming at one school. Stewards must have at least some availability during the school day (8:30-2:30 M-F). This year, our programming is virtual. If you have skills in producing videos, we’d love to work with you!
- School Garden After School Assistant Teachers commit to supporting after school educational experiences in our school gardens 1-2 days / week. Must have availability in one of following time slots:
- Monday 3:15-5:15pm, Tuesday 2:30-4pm, 3:30-5pm, Wednesday 2:30-3pm, 3-4pm
- 2020 programming is virtual and has a more flexible schedule.
- SUMMER (mid-June-August) :
- School Garden Summer Volunteers commit to provide weekly support of garden maintenance at one school garden from mid- June- August. Volunteers commit to supporting garden regularly each week, but exact hours are flexible. Training and support provided.
- SPRING (April-mid-June):
South Street Farm, volunteer opportunities (Weekly)
- South Street Farm Volunteer- 1-2 hours / week, mid-April – end of June
- Availability on one of the following days:
- Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- Please contact email@example.com to express interest, and receive more information.
Cleaning and Greening (Urban Agriculture and Green Spaces)
Groundwork Somerville host monthly open volunteer days (April through November) at our urban agriculture sites, as well as local parks and green spaces. No pre-registration is necessary. Events are drop in, and open to all.
To join mailing list to find out information about these opportunities as dates and times are finalized, please sign up for our volunteer email list here.