Jobs & Internships
The positions listed below are designed for people who are older than high school age or have graduated from high school. If you are interested in a Green Team position for a high schooler/teenager, please find information about applying for the Green Team here!
Summer 2018 Internships – Green Team Leadership Positions
The Green Team is our teen employment program. Participants develop leadership, job, and relationship-building skills through urban agriculture, environmental justice, and civic engagement projects. The Green Team hires primarily low-income, recent immigrant, and youth of color from Somerville. Crews work at and bike between various sites in Somerville. The summer Green Team employs 10-20 youth for 7-8 weeks, 20 hours per week. Each week includes work projects, issue-based workshops, team building, and job skills development.
Green Team leaders work closely with each other and Groundwork staff to run an immersive job experience for Green Team members over 7-8 weeks. All leaders participate in 2-3 weeks of training and meet weekly for planning and ongoing support.
Being a Green Team leader is an opportunity to grow as a youth worker, farmer, community change agent, and more. It is a significant commitment of time and energy, both physical and emotional. Past Green Team leaders have described it as one of their most rewarding work or internship experiences. We hope you’ll join us for a fun and challenging summer!
Positions include: Crew Leaders (2 positions), Site Leaders (2 positions), Farmers Market Leader (1 position), and Bikes Leader (1 position)
Groundwork Somerville regrets that we cannot currently provide direct compensation for these positions. We encourage individuals to look for funding sources, including from their college or university, or through other summer internship funding programs. We will do what we can to support that process. A few opportunities are listed here.
Spring 2018 Internships
Outreach, Social Media, and Events Intern
This position is available as a paid internship to Tufts University students with a Federal Work Study grant.
The Outreach, Social Media and Events Intern will help Groundwork with all public facing elements of our work, including:
- Creating materials that highlight Groundwork Somerville’s work, to be published on Facebook, Instagram and other social media sites
- Writing and coordinating the scheduling of regular postings to social media sites
- Developing fliers and permanent signage for public outreach events (Cider Day, Maple Syrup Festival, farmers market, tabling events, etc.)
- Event planning and execution: assisting in the delivery of a variety of Groundwork events, including seasonal celebrations, fundraisers, and workshops
- Must be comfortable and experienced using a variety of social media platforms and/or be able to master usage of new platforms
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
Additional desired qualifications:
- Experience with event planning and marketing
- Multilingual abilities a plus (Spanish, Haitian Kreyol, and/or Portuguese specifically)
- Prior work or commitment to environmental justice, youth development, or urban agriculture
Schedule & Compensation:
- Flexible schedule during regular business hours with some required evenings and weekends for events
- 8-20 hours per week, depending on grant
- Minimum full semester commitment (January-May 2017)
- $12-14/hr based on experience (for Tufts University student with Federal Work Study grant)
Send a resume and cover letter describing yourself and your experience. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF file. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. Applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis, and applications received by January 8, 2018 will be prioritized.
All Groundwork Somerville Interns work closely with one another and the rest of the Groundwork staff to build a collaborative and engaging work environment. Orientation and training are provided, and weekly meetings are held to provide ongoing support.
This page lists current internship opportunities. We will occasionally create positions for individuals with the right skills. If we do not currently have any internship positions open, or if none of the internship opportunities meet your needs but you would like to work with us, please get in touch: email@example.com.
Groundwork Somerville is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity. Groundwork Somerville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. People of Color and those with other marginalized identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to getting to know you.