Jobs & Internships
AmeriCorps VISTA Position Available: Outreach Coordinator
Groundwork Somerville is looking for an energetic and creative individual to contribute to the growth and reach of our organization. Groundwork Somerville strives for the sustained regeneration, improvement and management of the physical environment through the development of community-based partnerships, which empower people, businesses and organizations to promote environmental, social and economic well-being. We serve youth aged 16-24 in green jobs and leadership training, provide environmental education in School Garden Classrooms and create and restore green and growing spaces throughout the city and region. Groundwork’s current focuses are Urban Agriculture, food access and open space. Our youth run an urban farm, mobile farmers market, and perform stewardship of public lands like school gardens, parks, and rivers. The VISTA will play a key role in growing our capacity for fundraising and participation in programs by youth, volunteers, and donors.
- Help grow volunteer base by coordinating and executing cultivation and service events in Somerville, including cleanups, invasive species removal, garden builds, and farmers markets. Assist with event planning including guest lists, tracking replies and attendance. Event logistics, volunteer management and reporting, solicitation of sponsors and in kind donations. Current annual events include the Groundwork Gala and Comcast Cares Day city-wide cleanup.
- With ED, develop a three-year fundraising plan for the organization.
- Match volunteers and groups with events as benefiting Groundwork.
- Create or expand program opportunities for youth training, service and certifications
- Connect with partners including governments, non-profits and businesses to identify program and service opportunities
- Create event and marketing materials including invitations, flyers, posters, brochures, sponsorship packages, program reports, and other outreach materials
- Write donor communication, including thank you letters, to expand donor cultivation.
- Develop and implement strategies to recruit, track and manage volunteers
- Develop and implement strategies to increase organization’s presence on social media
- Schedule and staff public outreach opportunities (festivals, conferences, tabling events)
- Write grants as needed
- Conduct research on individuals, foundations and corporations to identify new potential donors and funding sources.
- BA (4-year degree or equivalent)
- Excellent organizational and writing skills
- Adept with social media and basic computer programs (word, excel, powerpoint)
- Graphic design abilities or interest preferred
- Able to work independently and self-direct projects
- Able to communicate effectively and work as a team
- Great interest in owning one’s own projects and work
- Creative thinker, self-starter
- Ability to speak a second language a plus (Spanish, Haitian Creole or Portuguese preferred).
Position Details and Benefits
The VISTA position is a full-time, year-long assignment and entails an annual living allowance of $14,664. VISTA may not take on additional employment during their service year. At the end of the service year, VISTA members are also eligible to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 to pay for student loans, or an end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500. Additional benefits include training, limited health care benefits, and student-loan forbearance or deferment. The selected candidate will need to attend a 4-day VISTA training in early/mid-February in Colorado. Based on a satisfactory service year, the selected candidate may have the option to serve an additional year. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, please go to http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista/americorps-vista-faqs.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until a candidate is found, or until THURSDAY, DECEMBER 11. This is a quick process, with selection taking place as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Please send a cover letter, resume and 3-5 page nonfiction writing sample to email@example.com (PDFs preferred). Applications may also be mailed to or dropped off at 24 Park St. #7, Somerville, MA 02143. This job requires a one-year commitment starting in February 2015.
Candidates should also fill out an AmeriCorps VISTA Application at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=54042&fromSearch=true