Jobs & Internships
We are currently hiring for the following positions. Please scroll down for more details.
- TerraCorps Youth Education/Community Engagement Coordinator (August 2018-July 2019)
- Additional internships to be available for Tufts students (September 2018-May 2019)
TerraCorps Youth Education/Community Engagement Coordinator – August 2018-July 2019
TerraCorps Service Members apply through TerraCorps and are matched with a host site. Find more information and apply at: https://terracorps.org/become-a-member/#gws1
Applications to be a TerraCorps member are now open!
A service member at Groundwork Somerville will be serving in a blended capacity, with 50% of time in a Community Engagement role, and 50% of time spent in a Youth Education role. Both roles are described below, to provide a sense of the types of projects this individual will be working on.
Community Engagement Coordinators (CEC) build the long-term capacity of their service sites by developing culturally inclusive systems, programing, partnerships, and events.
Youth Education Coordinators (YEC) build the long-term capacity of their service site by engaging youth in service learning, experiential education, and inquiry-based science and nature learning projects.
TerraCorps members engage with their supervisors to develop and carry out three or more capacity building projects over the course of the service year. Some of these projects will involve recruiting, training, and/or managing community volunteers. Groundwork Somerville has proposed the following potential project for their Youth Education/Community Engagement Coordinator:
- Expansion and formalization of our “School Garden Steward Program.” This program activates Somerville community members to help support both the maintenance and garden classes within our school gardens. As a “train the trainer” model, we seek to build a team of volunteer support to ensure high level of garden maintenance and programming across all school garden sites.
The Groundwork YEC/ CEC will work on revising and improving volunteer recruitment practices, assisting in the development and training of these volunteers, and supporting these volunteers at their school sites to be able to successfully complete garden tasks, as well as act as assistant teacher in our classrooms. These deliverables will be based on research of successful existing models across the country. Because this service member will also be providing direct service in the school gardens in the form of teaching and developing the gardens, they will also be drawing from this experience as they help to develop the School Garden Steward team.
- School Garden education: Groundwork Somerville supports school gardens in all 10 elementary schools in Somerville. The Groundwork YEC / CEC will provide school garden education programming for students at 3-5 of Somerville’s public and public charter schools around the city. This will range from school day programing to afterschool programming, and across age groups K-8th grade, with a strong focus on K-6th The focus will be on piloting new curriculum materials, including the World Crops curriculum and Pollinator curriculum.
- high school diploma and relevant experience
- a strong interest in serving with diverse community groups, landowners, and municipalities
- experience teaching or leading groups in the outdoors, preferably youth
- experience with hands-on land management or stewardship projects
- comfortable presenting in front of groups
- strong writing, communication, and networking skills
- able to serve both independently and as a member of a team
- familiarity with Microsoft Office programs
- associates degree or higher and/or certificate, training, or internship in a field related to environmental and social justice, environmental education, environmental policy and civic advocacy, social marketing and communication, or other social science related fields
- experience in community needs assessment
- experience with diversity and inclusion issues
- experience training and managing volunteers
- experience with experiential education, service learning, and inquiry-based learning methods
- experience with curriculum development and lesson planning
- experience in local government, or civic organizations
- marketing experience or experience developing public informational materials
- familiarity with land conservation in Massachusetts
- experience with service learning programs
For questions about our TerraCorps position, contact Jess Bloomer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 617-628-9988.
Additional Internship Openings & Overview
We will be seeking the following internship positions for the 2018-2019 school year. More details to come.
- Tisch Scholar working with the Green Team (for a Tufts student who is a Tisch Scholar)
- Social Media, Outreach, and Events Intern (for a Tufts student eligible for federal work study)
All Groundwork Somerville interns work closely with one another and the rest of the Groundwork staff to build a collaborative and engaging work environment. Orientation and training are provided, and weekly meetings are held to provide ongoing support.
We will occasionally create positions for individuals with the right skills. If we do not currently have any internship positions open, or if none of the internship opportunities meet your needs but you would like to work with us, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Groundwork Somerville is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity. Groundwork Somerville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. People of Color and those with other marginalized identities are strongly encouraged to apply.