Jobs & Internships
All Groundwork Somerville Interns work closely with one another and the rest of the Groundwork staff to build a collaborative and engaging work environment. Positions are overseen by the Deputy Director and Green Team Coordinator. Orientation and training are provided, and weekly meetings are held to provide ongoing support. If you are interested in a Green Team position for a high schooler/teenager, please find information about applying for the Green Team here!
Please see below for current internship opportunities. We will occasionally create positions for individuals with the right skills. If we do not currently have any internship positions open, or if none of the internship opportunities meet your needs but you would like to work with us, please get in touch: email@example.com.
Groundwork Somerville is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity. Groundwork Somerville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. People of Color and those with other marginalized identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to getting to know you.
Current Internship Openings
Outreach, Social Media, and Events Intern
This position is available as a paid internship to Tufts University students with a Federal Work Study grant.
The Outreach, Social Media and Events Intern will help Groundwork with all public facing elements of our work, including:
- Creating materials that highlight Groundwork Somerville’s work, to be published on Facebook, Instagram and other social media sites
- Developing fliers and permanent signage for public outreach events (Cider Day, Maple Syrup Festival, farmers market, tabling events, etc.)
- Event planning and execution: assisting in the delivery of a variety of Groundwork events, including seasonal celebrations, fundraisers, and workshops
- Must be comfortable and experienced using a variety of social media platforms (facebook, twitter, instagram, tumblr, etc.)
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
Additional desired qualifications:
- Experience with event planning and marketing
- Multilingual abilities a plus (Spanish, Haitian Kreyol, and/or Portuguese specifically)
- Prior work or commitment to environmental justice, youth development, or urban agriculture
Schedule & Compensation:
- Flexible schedule during regular business hours with some required evenings and weekends for events
- 8-20 hours per week, depending on grant
- Minimum 4 month commitment, preferred 8 month commitment
- $11-14/hr based on experience (for Tufts University student with Federal Work Study grant)
Send a resume and cover letter describing yourself and your experience. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF file. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. Early applications will be prioritized.
Summer Internships with the Green Team
We bring on a group of interns each summer to work directly with the youth in our Green Team program. These are fun, highly rewarding, and very demanding positions with huge potential for growth as a youth worker, urban farmer, community member and more. Positions include Crew Leaders, Market Leader, Bike Leader, Farm Site Leader, and other Site Leaders depending on current projects.
If you are interested in a summer internship leading the Green Team, check back in early 2018 for how to apply. We regret that at this time we most likely cannot offer direct compensation for these positions. If you are able to pursue funding through your university or another program, we encourage you to do so and will support this process! We also encourage you to apply to the Forest Foundation’s paid internship program and ask to be placed with us at Groundwork Somerville! Applications for summer 2018 positions with the Forest Foundation open on December 1st, 2017.